Thursday, 31 July 2014

Myrna Cardigan

I have finally got around to photographing my Myrna cardigan, and I'm a bit meh about it.  If I'm honest, I have been since I finished it a few weeks ago.



There are two things I don't really like about it, one is the fit.  It's fine at the shoulders and the tops of the sleeves, but too big at the underarms and middle back.  Also the body is a bit too long.



The other is the yarn.  I used three skeins of Rowan Pure Wool Worsted (the colour is Plum 122), and it's a bit itchy.  I sprayed it with water to block it, but maybe I'll wash it properly to see if it softens up a bit.

 


I love this pattern though.  It's really well written and easy to follow.  My favourite bit is the construction of the sleeve heads.  You pick up the stitches around the armhole, and work short rows to shape the top of the sleeve.  I love how it looks, and it was really easy to do.

 


I also love the buttons.  They are dyed shell buttons and I got them from Love Knitting, where I also got the yarn.

 


I added some short row shaping to the bust using the calculation in Little Red In The City.  I also stabilised the button bands using this tutorial from Lauren at Lladybird.




I don't hate it, but it's not a favourite.  Maybe I'll try it again another time in a softer yarn.  I'm thinking of Cascade 220, and would love to know if anybody has used this and what they thought of it.

Lynne

14 comments:

  1. I think it's cute! I love the back detail! It's a great color!

    The hardest part of knitting is getting the right fit I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colour too. You're so right about trying to get the fit right in knitting, and I would say the same of sewing too!

      Delete
  2. I really like it. It's a fab colour on you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The colour is gorgeous, and the colour in the photos is pretty true to the real colour. I find purple can be tricky to photograph.

      Delete
  3. The colour is fabulous on you! I hope wet blocking softens the yarn for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully wet blocking will do the trick.

      Delete
  4. I love the colour, I think it's a bit big and chunky to wear with such a dress. Perhaps it might be better to wear with jeans? I think the dress is too feminine and delicate looking. Hope the yarn softens, try using some hair conditioner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, you're absolutely right. This dress was the third thing I tried the cardigan with! Maybe it will look better with heavier winter clothes, but my winter stuff is all packed away at the minute. I'll definitely try using hair conditioner to soften it, that sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  5. I love your combi of dress and cardigan! That color - amazing. Regarding the fit, I think the initial gauge given in the pattern was wrong resulting in massive sleeves. And I changed the gauge and offered some pattern changes for people who had started already. Did you knit using the old or new gauge? Maybe that's the problem of the bigginess? I have used cascade 220 four times already and just love it. Super happy with the quality. The only disadvantage: you have to make the ball of yarn yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate automatic spelling: Andi changed the gauge...

      Delete
    2. I read about the gauge issues, and I think my gauge was closer to the new one. I can't remember now! Thank you for your tips on Cascade 220, I think I might have to buy some.

      Delete
  6. I love this pattern, and I love it on you! I hope it softens up for you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress and cardi combo. Sorry it's not your favourite. I love that colour

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.