Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Belladolly Dress

Well, here it is, my Sew Dolly Clackett fabric winning dress.
 

I can't tell you how much I love this fabric!  To recap, it's the fabric that Roisin picked for me as one of the Sew Dolly Clackett winners.  Roisin bought 5 metres when she was in Paris, and sent me half of it - have a look at the gorgeous dress she made with her half.


I loved this fabric the second I saw it (wax cotton, mad print - yes please!), but have to say that I wouldn't have picked it myself, because of the blue.  I always think that I'm too pale for blue, but I am very happy to be proved wrong!  This is inspiring me to be more adventurous in colour choices.


The other main colour is what I would call raspberry - a pinky red.  You can see the difference beside my pillarbox red belt in the photo below.  I love this shade of red.


The dress pattern is the Deer and Doe Belladone dress.  This is my fourth version, and definately a TNT pattern for me.  By the way, have you seen Sonja from Ginger Makes Piranha version?  How amazing it that!  And I spotted this maxi version on the Deer and Doe blog - scroll down to the bottom of the second block of photos.  Why did I not think of that?!



As I previously mentioned, I used an exposed zip at the back, after having seen one on this gorgeous Belladone by Louise from Thread Carefully.  I used this tutorial to sew it.  I am delighted with how it looks; but, good grief, what a faff to sew!  A lot of it was due to me sewing when I was tired - never a good idea, and also I had a bit of trouble with the ordinary zipper foot that came with my machine.  Because of the height of the teeth, and also the wider overhang on the left edge of the foot, it made it tricky to sew as close to the teeth as I would have liked.  This foot is a completely different shape to the zipper foot on my Granny's old Elna as you can see in the below photo - the foot on the left is from my Elna 520, and the foot on the right is from my old Elna.  I did try to attach the old foot to my machine, but it wouldn't fit.



So I had a look on the interwebs, and came across this zipper foot for my machine.  I know the website says it's for a Janome, but the Elna website shows the same foot for the 520, and I believe Janome make Elna machines.  I've ordered it, but haven't got it yet, so I'll have to see how it goes.   I'd love to know if anybody else has had problems with these newer shaped zipper feet.


Source - www.sewingmachinesales.co.uk

Anyway, back to the dress.  I added some bias tape at the waistband (as did Louise),




and also finished the hem with some bias tape (Louise and Roisin did this too - I'm such a copy cat!).  I would never have thought of this myself, and love how it looks.

I love this dress, and thank you once again to Roisin for sending me the fabric.  Today was it's first outing, Mr BB and I are off work for two weeks (hurray) and today we went to Silent Valley Mountain Park in the Mourne Mountains in Co Down. 

 

Behind me is one of two reservoirs in the Mournes, I knew the reservoirs where there, but had no idea about the park, and I've lived in Co Down all my life!  The weather is lovely at the minute, and hot for Northern Ireland, although it was misty and breezy up the mountains.  

I have finished my Myrna cardigan, but haven't photographed it yet, so I'll blog it another day.

Have a great week,

Lynne

23 comments:

  1. Your dress looks gorgeous. I'm sure you made Roisin proud :) I especially love it in combination with your black cardigan and those red toenails! They actually as if they have the same color as the flowers have. I'm always struggling with sewing close to the zipper start and end because of this wide zipper foot. I thought its normal, but now I'm wondering. They are selling adjustable zipper foots for my brother as well! I'm really tempted to get one now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say: have a lovely holiday :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I am looking at my nail polish right now, and by pure coincidence it's nearly the same colour as the red in my dress. I coordinated by accident! Thank you for your comment on the zipper foot. I'm so glad that I'm not the only person to have trouble with that type of foot. I haven't got my new foot yet, but I'll let you know how I get on with it once I get it.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic dress! I really love the big flower pattern on the dress. It matches well with your little black dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't the pattern brilliant!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, that dress is great! I would be so nervous of that big print, but you make it work so well! You are fast becoming the Queen of the Belladone Dress I think! And I have yet to try it...must give it a go sometime.
    Love your last photo. I have never been to the Silent Valley park - actually....I didn't know there was a park up there either, but now that I do I'll be making a point of heading there as soon as possible!!!
    Have you ever climbed S. Donard? I have yet to attempt it, but it's on my to-do list!
    Have a lovely holiday Lynne, you seem to have picked the weeks with the good weather - I was off the last two weeks and it was rather wet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'll give my Belladone pattern a rest for a while. I haven't climbed Donard, and it sounds a bit too energetic for me! Sometimes my work does a sponsored climbed of Donard, but I've always managed to avoid it - I go for the leisurely stroll/chat around a short route in Tullymore!

      Delete
  4. Lynne, you really did this fabric proud and I love the way you have placed the print! The bias binding around the waistband and hem looks brilliant as well, and I think the blue looks great with your colouring - it was the blue that drew me to the print, and I think it really suits you.

    I love it in Silent Valley - I haven't been there for years, though! The last time we went I was a teenager and we went to Spelga Damn, and I think there's a magic road somewhere around there too. Ooh this is making me homesick - the Mournes are one of my favourite places in the world <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love this fabric so much! The Silent Valley was gorgeous, and we were on the way to Spelga when we came upon it. I mentioned the magic road to Andrew ( I hadn't heard of it either) and said there were videos of it on YouTube. Which makes me wonder how he knows that! Sorry for making you homesick!

      Delete
    2. I remember being utterly baffled by the magic road when we went there as children - I wasn't that amazed by its magic properties but rather by how much it blew my Granda's mind to see it! I love that whole area though - Slieve Donard is amazing (we climbed it as children) but I think my favourite place is Slieve Binnian. I've never taken Nic to the Mournes, you're making me think that the next time we're home that's what we'll have to do. At the very least take him to Tollymore, you know.

      Oooh where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea *wipes away tear* (hehehe)

      Delete
    3. I always forget just how lovely the Mournes are, especially on a sunny day. Andrew's Granda lived in Ballynahinch, and used to say that if you couldn't see the Mournes then it was raining, and if you could see the Mournes it was going to rain! I think I'll have to go and find this magic road for myself.

      Delete
    4. Wow, what is this Magic Road?! I've never heard of it. Have just Googled and it sounds amazing - think I may have to pay a visit this weekend!

      Delete
    5. I was googling it this morning, and have informed Andrew that we are going to see it next week. How did Roisin know about this when she's from Tyrone, and we are from Down?! We are letting our county, um, down!! ;)

      Delete
  5. I love this SO MUCH!!! I want this exact same dress!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your latest Belladone is amazing!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful placement of such a large scale print. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for the inspiration on the zip.

      Delete
  7. I am so in love with this dress!!!! The fabric is absolutely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about this fabric!

      Delete
  8. That fabric is stunning! I would never have picked it out in a million years but seeing how amazing it looks has certainly made me think differently about fabrics. Dare to be bold! The scenery near look looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Mournes are really beautiful, and definitely worth a visit if you ever find yourself in this part of the world.

      Delete
  9. The dress is absolutely beautiful! I particularly like the black tape around the waist band (very flattering).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased with how the bias tape turned out at the waist.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.