Saturday, 4 January 2014

OXO Quilted Mat

 I made a quilt!  It's a 21 inch square quilt, but it's a quilt nonetheless. 
 

Ever since I got my sewing machine, it's sat on a manky old piece of green carpet underfelt to stop it moving around, and to deaden the noise a bit.  This, like a lot of my sewing stuff, came from my Granny.  It was underneath her sewing machine when I got it, and then it got put under my machine when I bought it.

Yes, that is Zippy from Rainbow.  He's my sewing buddy, and thinks all my work is great!  He never loved that underfelt though.


Then, a few months ago, Claire from I Want To Be A Turtle blogged about a lovely quilted mat she'd made for under her machine.  As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to make one.  I have to thank Claire for suggesting using two layers of batting.  This is what I did, and my mat is good and thick.
 
I also have to say a big thank you to Sonia from Fabric and Flowers, who has very kindly been emailing me quilting tips and advice, and answering my stupid questions.  Have a look at her blog, her quilts are amazing! 


The OXO pattern came from the Liberty website here, and the instructions were really easy to follow.  I was surprised at how quickly it came together.  I made it during the Christmas holidays, and started cutting it out on a Saturday afternoon.  I had most of the pieces sewn together by bedtime.  I would have had it all sewn, but for the pesky gingham!  It was the remains of a duvet cover, and it's 50% cotton 50% polyester, so it was a little bit more stretchy than the rest of the fabric which is 100% cotton.  All of the fabric was leftovers, and the red was my first Peony dress that was too big.  I still had some fabric leftover from it, which I used for the back.


It gets the Zippy seal of approval!
Before I started this, I watched a quilting class on Craftsy.  The class is called Piece, Patch, Quilt: Basic Quiltmaking Skills; and it's free.  I really can't get over the fact that this class is free.  It's several hours long, and it's fantastic.  It's for the complete quilting novice, and takes you through all the details for making two large quilts and a small mat.  Did I mention it's free?!  One of the best things I learnt was how to use a rotary cutter.  I hadn't had great results with mine.  The ruler kept shifting, and I was a bit scared of that blade.  But not any more!  I cut this whole mat with my rotary cutter, and it really is a time saver.


One of the reasons I wanted to make this was so I could put my sewing machine on the dining room table.  Sometimes it's nice to be social, and not hide in the spare room!  I recently got a nice new table, and didn't want to put the ratty underfelt on it.



I have done a little bit of quilting before.  I made this bag, and also a cover for my Granny's old Elna (which I mustn't have blogged because I can't find it).  It was similar to the bag in that it didn't have any shapes to put together.  I also made a quilted cushion (this was pre-blog), but it was a pre-cut kit.  The quilting on it is absolute rubbish, but you know what, I use that cushion every single day.  I think one of the things that helped on this mat was the walking foot.  I treated myself to it as a Christmas present, and you can see it attached to my machine in the photo above. 
 
Now, I will be honest.  This is a far from perfect quilt.  Some of the edges don't match up too well, and the actual quilting stitching is a bit wobbly in places; but I am delighted with it!  I don't think I will ever be a big quilter, I definitely don't see me ever making a bed quilt, but I loved making this, and could see myself making cushions or mats.  Is anybody else thinking of giving quilting a go?
 
Lynne

10 comments:

  1. Well, I think it's a big success and you should pat yourself on the back. I can't see any wobbly lines :D I've only made patchwork quilts by sewing the pieces together by hand and then using my sewing machine to do the quilting, but I might give machine piecing a hand soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really am pleased with it. The reason why the wobbly lines and the not very well matched pieces are hard to see, is because I deliberately didn't take a close-up photo of those bits!! ;)

      Delete
  2. This is great and looks lovely underneath your machine. The colours are really pretty and I can't see any wobbly lines or mismatched edges. Does it dampen the noise of your machine at all? My one layered one doesn't and I would be tempted to redo it if two layers of batting does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it looks really well under my machine (even if I say so myself!). Re the noise, I haven't noticed a big difference, but that could be because the underfelt was doing a good job anyway. Also, I don't think that my machine is overly noisy. It's something that I have considered though, because my sewing table has a draw underneath where my machine sits, and I had worried that the drawer would echo the noise.

      Delete
  3. Your quilt is adorable! The color, the design, the quilting, just beautiful! I just wanted to ask if it really dampens the noise of your machine (because I am thinking of making one as well), but I see Claire has already ask the questions :) I love quilting, it actually was, what got me into sewing. I prefer to make big quilts and cushions and have made a few so far. Actually at the moment the quilting bug has bitten me again and patchworking and quilting is all what I do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved the big quilt you made, I think it was maybe called a butterfly quilt.

      Delete
  4. It looks fabulous! There's no stopping you! I wonder what's next?! I would want to leave my machine out all the time if I had something so lovely for it to sit on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was so easy to make, something like this would be a great introduction to quilting.

      Delete
  5. It looks wonderful Lynne - you've done an awesome job!!!!! You really are too kind Lynne - I have lots of mismatched points and wobbly quilting lines, I like to think that it adds too the charm!!!! I haven't got a rug for under my machine, but now I feel like I have to make one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the idea that the mismatched and wobbly bits add to the charm!!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.