Sunday, 19 January 2014

Deer and Doe Airelle Blouse

If it seems like I've been very productive of late, it's because of a combination of the Christmas holidays, and the week's leave I had to take before the end of January.   Normal reserve will resume... 
 
 
Here's the last of the holiday makes.  It's the Deer and Doe Airelle Blouse.  And guess what?  I didn't make a toile!!  I know!!  My Deer and Doe Belladone dress fitted so well (especially at the back), and this blouse is loose fitting, so I decided to throw caution to the wind.
 
 
I'm delighted with how it fits, especially the back.  There's not a sway back in sight.  On the next one (because there will be more), I will do a slight full bust adjustment - I'm thinking 2 cm overall.  There are some drag lines just above the bust, you can see them in the collage photo at the bottom - the top right photo shows it best.  But I can live with it on this one.
 

The fabric is some poly stuff from Sew N Sew in Belfast.  I used this for my Darling Ranges dress, and the same fabric in a different colour for my first Mathilde Blouse.
 


I love the collar and yoke.  The collar style is called a Chelsea collar on the pattern, I haven't come across this before.  I added some white piping to the front and back of the yoke and the edge of the collar.  It wasn't as tricky as I thought it would be to pipe the corners of the front of the collar.  I just sewed it slowly, and it was grand.


There are no shoulder seams, the yoke comes over the shoulders and attaches at the front of the bodice.  I hadn't made anything with this before, and I really like how it looks.


I thought the piping on the collar edge might be a bit much with the piping on the yoke, but I like how it looks.


I love the billowy sleeves and little cuffs.
 

 
This was easy enough to make, but as with Belladone, I found the instructions to be a bit scant.  But I love this blouse, and have been wearing it with my jeans.  I intend to make another one to go with my many purple skirts. 

Have a great week!
 
Lynne
 

22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love the polka dots and the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about polka dots! ;)

      Delete
  2. Love this! The piping is great and is a wonderful detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Piping the collar was a lot easier than I thought.

      Delete
  3. I love the piping too. It looks great with jeans but I would imagine you could dress it up just as easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This pattern is definately a winner because I think it will go with so many things.

      Delete
  4. The blouse is super cute! Piping and polka dots, such a great combination!
    How much fabric did you use? I am trying to reduce my fabric stash and have a lot of fabrics that are only 1 meter, so maybe this is a pattern for me? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I used about 1.5 metres of fabric, and it was 60 inches wide. The sleeves are wide, and take up a bit of fabric. But there is a sleeveless version on the pattern envelope, and I reckon 1 metre would be fine for it. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo - this is so lovely! Really like the piping detail as well. I imagine this will get worn a lot! It would look really lovely tucked into a pencil skirt too I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought it would look well with a skirt too, so the next one is specifically to go with my many purple skirts.

      Delete
  7. Love the piping! I've got the pattern and some fabric earmarked for it but haven't got around to it yet, I may have to do piping as well now (copying being the best form of flattery!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you're going to pipe the collar, here's how I did it. I sewed the curved edge in one go, then sewed the two short straight edges at the front separately. I found it make the points of the collar good and sharp.

      Delete
  8. You've reminded me what a lovely pattern this is Lynne, it's gorgeous in polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks super, I really like the piping :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I really like this! The piping really pulls it together :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really pleased with how the piping turned out.

      Delete
  11. This is a such a lovely top and polka dots, I love them! The piping looks really professional and is a lovely detail.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.